It’s hard to believe that it’s already been three months since we opened our doors! Thank you for trusting us with your fitness program and believing in our dream.
We spent three years taking an idea and turning it into a commercial product that will change the way the world gets fit. Looking back, we realize now how crazy we were to even try.
- We had to create custom hardware to deliver resistance safely and automatically into VR.
- We had to build a new game that would be addictive and fun, while also delivering insane fitness results.
- We had to design a brand concept that would explain what we are all about and also inspire our members.
- We had to create a companion app to help our members view their accounts, manage game details, and explore their stats.
- We needed to design machine learning progression algorithms, gym layouts, business models, onboarding modules, and backend gym operation software and processes.
- We needed to build a world-class team and culture focused on ONE thing: helping our members reach their health and fitness goals in record time.
- We realize there were hiccups over the last few months that has created frustration for you. Our highest priority has been to create a seamless experience that is stable and consistent. You can’t achieve your goals if you are constantly dealing with technical difficulties! We have been working on it 24/7 and will not stop until we reach our goal of 98%+ workouts completed without delays, restarts, or major technical difficulties. Thank you for your patience. We have made a lot of progress and have a lot of updates coming in the next few weeks.
We also have a lot of exciting new game features coming soon that will make your workout battles more exciting and meaningful. You ain’t seen nothin’ yet!
Thank you for being a founding member of the world’s first virtual reality gym. The future is here and you are a critical part of it. Please continue to give us your feedback and ideas. Together we will revolutionize fitness!
See you in the Arena!
Ryan and Preston
Founders, Black Box VR
Black Box VR is off to a great start in San Francisco. New PCs with high-end graphics cards were recently installed which makes for a much smoother experience. Additional membership options will be available soon through the BBVR mobile app which will give members access to single, 4, 8, and Unlimited session packages. Soon all members will be given their own personal wrist garments to attach controllers too. Game and hardware stability remains a priority and will continue to improve. New game and app features are in development and will roll out periodically over the coming months. We appreciate all of our early members who are helping us create the future of fitness.
Black Box VR is excited to announce it will be opening its second state-of-the-art location on August 28th in Boise Idaho at the Zions Bank Building in collaboration with The Gym 8th & Main!
This gym will be equipped with seven automated cable resistance machines and virtual reality headsets. Boise members will have access to locker rooms, premium toiletries, and complimentary pre and post-workout supplements. A number of membership options will be available through the BBVR mobile app. The Boise location will be open from 6:00 am to 7:00 pm Monday through Friday, 7:00 am to 1:00 pm Saturday and 9:00 am to 1:00 pm Sunday. If you are looking for a serious, efficient, fun exercise program that will keep you coming back, download the app and book your introductory workout battle
Black Box VR Athlete of the Month
Bio: I joined BlackBoxVR after quitting teaching yoga and practicing for about 5 years. I was having whatever the midlife crisis equivalent is for workout regimens. After trying personal training, going to the gym, cardio and even kickboxing I finally landed at Black Box VR thanks to an Instagram ad!
Hero level: 8
Arena: 7 – silver league
Physical results: I’ve lifted way more than I thought I’d ever be able to
Favorite champion: Sheara because you can’t beat those health and damage stats
Favorite direct damage: Fire beam (chest press) has really grown on me. I used to hate it because of my noodle arms but it’s been fun to see my improvements since the beginning.
Why I love BBVR: There’s something really motivating about not wanting to lose. It brings back a similar mentality to when I used to play sports, I’m way more focused on winning than how tired I am!
Gameplay tip: Use your direct attack moves to get all your opponents champions then deploy all yours at once for some intense offense.
Companion App Update
You’ve been earning them in-battle, now it’s time to redeem them in the mobile app. We’ve designed over 100 NEW achievements for you to now unlock in the Black Box VR Mobile Companion App. The harder you push yourself in the workout battles, the more likely you are to unlock new achievements and collect some sweet bonus coin rewards while you’re at it! Each achievement you earn also generates a special image in the mobile app that you can share with your friends, family or even foes. Get after it and good luck collecting them all!
Ahoy, Black Box Heroes! I can’t even begin to articulate how much we appreciate your enthusiasm, support and patience as we move from our initial release into a much more polished game. We have a ton of great updates and new features planned this year, and the development team is excited to roll them out to you as quickly as we can.
Although this quarter’s focus is primarily on stability (huge shout out to all you heroes out there who are reporting bugs!), there are a bunch of new features in the pipeline which should be making their way out to you in the coming months.
- We have completely revamped our achievement system and are in the process of implementing something that will be really fun: Daily Quests. Every day there will be three new optional quests for heroes to accomplish. Completing them will increase your winnings substantially, and potentially unlock some new cards! Be ready for a challenge though, they might require some unconventional deckbuilding or gameplay.
- At Black Box VR, we know that social interaction is a key element to getting fit. Diving into the arenas and busting out a great fight against an AI is one thing, but you need a team to do it with! We will soon be releasing an update that includes a friends list, shared achievements, and the ability to win Care Crates, which you can send to your friends. Imagine a whole new level of team challenges and rewards!
- Overall polish is another major focus of the dev and art teams in the coming quarters. Keep an eye out for a much nicer looking and sounding experience in the near future.
Thanks again for your support and excitement about the world we’re creating together. We are a very small but scrappy team, so every new feature that makes its way to the gym is fueled with our sweat, tears, and pre-workout!
Keep crushing it!
“Captain” Duane Mathes
SVP of Game Development Black Box VR
The exercise programming built into the Black Box VR experience was built based on the latest science. This isn’t bro-science. This isn’t just a game. Complete 3 – 4 workouts per week, every week, and you will see amazing results.
A recent analysis supports our built-in exercise programming:
Resistance exercise training (RET)-induced increases in voluntary 1RM strength are greater if the RET is performed with higher loads and replication (or close) of the strength test. In contrast, RET-induced muscular hypertrophy is primarily mediated by the intensity of effort, which is achieved by performing RET to volitional fatigue and with an internal focus on contracting a muscle throughout the exercise range of motion.
In addition, RET-induced muscular hypertrophy is augmented by increasing training volume, but with diminishing returns. Other training variables such as volume-load, inter-set rest, and time under tension have negligible effects on RET-induced changes in muscle size or strength. We conclude that an uncomplicated, evidence-based approach to optimizing RET-induced changes in muscle size and strength follows the FITT principle: frequency, intensity (effort), type, and time.
Hero Trainer of the Month
Hero level: Hero Level 22
Arena: Diamond League
Background: As a personal trainer I always hear “I don’t know what I’m doing” and” I hate going to the gym”, BlackBoxVR basically makes those issues obsolete.
Why I love Black Box VR?: I have been playing video games since birth, and now having the option to incorporate fitness is literally a game-changer.
Favorite champion: Spearnado because he’s quick, packs a punch and gets the job done!
Favorite direct damage exercise: Squats because once I get going and find my rhythm no barriers or champions can stop me from mowing them down.
Gameplay tip: Although strength is a factor in the overall battle, it always comes down to strategy. Working harder is a great option, but I’d prefer to play smarter 😉
Personal fun facts: The video game I can play non stop until the day I die is Dead by Deadlight.
Don’t forget to get your scoop of whey protein after every battle from the supplement station! Whey protein has been proven to help you recover from difficult workouts and provides the building blocks your muscles need to grow. Try to get one gram of protein per pound of bodyweight every day.
Join Our Community
Join our active Discord community and share your Black Box VR experiences.